Here’s another extremely delicious Carnival treat we grew up eating: Castagnole! These are my grandpa’s favourites, so nonna always has freshly-fried ones… believe me, they’re addictive!
600 gr flour
150 gr sugar
150 gr olive oil
1 small glass of anise-flavoured liqueur (optional)
Grated peel of 1 lemon
8 gr baking powder
A pinch of salt
vegetable oil (to deep-fry)
1) Mix all ingredients together until you get a soft and smooth dough. Let it stand for a few minutes.
2) Cut the dough into smaller pieces and roll them into strips.
3) Using a knife, cut the strips into small pieces.
4) Shape each piece into a smooth, little ball.
5) Deep-fry the balls in vegetable oil (we used sunflower oil).
6) When they are golden, take them out with a skimming ladle and dry them.
7) Give Castagnole a few minutes to cool down, then sprinkle with icing sugar.
They are good for three/four days…but we doubt you will have any left!