Nonna Angela is the queen of Carnival treats! I remember going to her house a few days before Mardi Gras knowing she would have fresh castagnole or chiacchiere… and she still does! They’re both typical desserts we make to celebrate Carnival. Chiacchiere are thin, crispy stripes of dough, which are deep-fried and sprinkled with icing sugar. They’re very easy to make and… they’re soooooooo good! Nonna makes hers very very thin, so that they’re super crunchy!
Here’s her recipe.
250 gr of flour
1 glass of rum
grated lemon peel (1 lemon)
peanut oil (used to deep-fry)
1) Mix ingredients together and obtain a dough.
2) Roll the dough with a rolling pin until it’s thin.
3) Cut the dough into stripes with a pastry/ravioli wheel.
4) Deep-fry the stripes in peanut oil.
5) When they cool down, sprinkle the stripes with icing sugar.
6) Eat them all!